Thursday 1 April 2010

Have just read How to Buy and Run your own hotel by Mark Lloyd. I was pleasantly surprised with this volume as by now I have read a whole mess of books and some of it gets repetitive. This volume was mainly aimed at people who were in the Pre-owning stage of buying a hotel an area which has not been tackled in any of the volumes I have read. It is well written and humorous and its is obvious that the chap is smart and has done his homework. He goes through the early stages of putting in the offer, what courses you have to take and so on. He doesn't go into much detail as to how things run on a daily basis but that is my only criticism. The people he bought from sound potty as they had 7 staff for a 10 bedroom hotel plus themselves which seems excessive. Plus Mr lloyd only reduces this to 5 which to me seems a bit much. I myself have 12 rooms and we have me, my partner who also works full time, a full time chamber maid and my parents who sit in when needed and that is more than enough. He goes into detail as to what to look for and what to ask for ie accounts and so on which is something I cannot emphasise enough. All in all an entertaining read even if you are past that stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment