Saturday 28 February 2009

I am currently reading How to own and operate a Bed and Breakfast by Jan Stankus I would recommend this book to anyone thinking of starting a B&B. I was a bit wary myself as this is a new edition and therefore I had to buy a new copy from America where it was a bit more expensive. However so far it has been worth paying a bit more for. The only drawback is that it is aimed at American B&B’s so has a large section on American regulations which is less relevant but has an exceptionally useful section on how to deal with pets should you allow them in your premises that I am reading currently. It has a good section on accounts which I would recommend anyone who is currently building their business plan to read and though is full of facts is not a hard read. All in all full of useful subject matter but I would recommend reading it twice to take it all in as it is quite a thick volume. I also like the worksheets of setting up expenses and how to record your figures for marketing which are in the back. I would also say as a warning this seems to be aimed at small home stay operations who don’t rely on the B&B income as their sole source of money. There is advice on how to juggle things with your job and how to make it homelike for your guests in a way that implies you would be unlikely to have more than two couples staying at once. So if you are thinking of taking on something larger such as a guest house it would be less relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment