Monday 23 February 2009

Post 5

If I had a pound for every time someone said something to me about how easy it must be to work in the hotel industry I would never work again. People will have no idea about your new life and will expect a great deal. You will find people that you barely know will claim friendship with you in order to get a reduced rate but be strong it’s a business not a charity. One of the things that made me laugh the most was a statement made to my sister who has no interest into going into the trade despite her sister, parents and godmother being hoteliers. This person with whom she worked said, “I don’t know why you don’t want to work with your parents it must be so easy you just do breakfast and then you have the rest of the day off”. This person obviously had not thought for one moment that you would have to make the beds answer the phone or do all the shopping for the next day. People will also turn up or try to phone you at completely the wrong times i.e. during breakfast for a chat or pop round to visit when you have a full check out and full check in and can’t spare the time.
To get round this I ask all my friends to call in advance of turning up to see if it is convenient and I brief everyone never to phone before 11am as its the peak time for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment