Monday 23 February 2009

Some people will not haggle at all but when they come to the hotel make sure they don’t know what the other people are paying. For some reason people always assume that all people are paying the same for that particular night and that you charge the same every day. This may be the case in your establishment if you choose to go that way but for the vast majority it is not. I have never understood this as when you fly you don’t assume that everyone on the plane paid the same as you. Do your best to make bookings that you take over the phone are not done in earshot of the other guests as this can cause mayhem. In a particular hotel I worked at the first offer for a twin room was one hundred and twenty pounds but we were allowed to go as low as one hundred if necessary. A lady was sat in reception directly opposite me and was clearly listening while I was on the phone this can be a problem when taking credit card numbers so be careful. The lady on the phone wanted a twin and haggled me down to one hundred and ten pounds which was fine but then the other lady insisted on knowing why she had got it cheaper. I explained that the lady on the phone was coming midweek when it was a quiet time which it was and that she had haggled with me over the price. I said to the lady did you haggle when you booked over the price she said no with a look of complete horror on her face. Some people see it as shameful to haggle as if you are saying you don’t have any money but being a Yorkshire lass myself I feel it is more important to get a bargain. Some people will also say can I have it cheaper if we have room only. I say yes as you then get the booking and you don’t have to cook them breakfast but it is entirely up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment